- Interesting piece from 1997 on another electoral catastrophe. lrb.co.uk/v19/n13/ross-m… 8 hours ago
- RT @dropthedebt: Greece’s misery shows we need bankruptcy for countries - @heatherstewart3 on the gaping hole in post-Crash reforms http://… 8 hours ago
- RT @CJFDillow: Blogged: some Blairites seem to be under-estimating Blair's actual achievements: bit.ly/1EnrH68 9 hours ago
- RT @CJFDillow: Blogged: some anti-business policies are good for the economy: bit.ly/1ei69TO 9 hours ago
- RT @CJFDillow: Immigration to the UK has boosted exports, especially of services: bit.ly/1ccHSN4 9 hours ago
- RT @johnvanreenen: Dear Business Secretary: There is no productivity growth left @IPPR huff.to/1bTTtAB @HuffPostUK 9 hours ago
- The David Mellor quote at the end of this @politicshome piece on Brexit is priceless. polho.me/1KeuhAO 9 hours ago
- @NPickavance Will try and get a post out next week 13 hours ago
- One of the best things I've read on why Labour lost. gu.com/p/496pd/swa By @RajeshAgrawalUK 14 hours ago
- @NPickavance Fascinating piece. On a similar theme, did you see this? immersive.sh/resolutionfoun… 14 hours ago
- RT @AtheneDonald: What happens to head girls? Guardian bit.ly/1cUmY68 Do they go on to be the female leaders they looked set to b… 14 hours ago
- RT @DanRebellato: Why does Labour always behave as if it's been ENTIRELY REJECTED when it loses an election? You got 9.3m votes. The Tories… 15 hours ago
- A 1995 immigration target for a 2015 economy
- How different is Scotland?
- Labour lost the economic argument 5 years ago
- The deficit: much tougher than it looked
- Are the Conservatives ideologically driven state-shrinkers?
- The Tories and welfare: Machiavellian or just muddling through?
- Recovery: Was that it?
- Low productivity: don’t blame the workforce
- Startups and the productivity puzzle
- David Nicholson is right: The NHS will need more money
- Flip Chart Cat
- Buccaneering Britain
Category Archives: Public Sector
The CBI and IPPR published a report on the future of public services last week. It warned: Britain faces a longer-term fiscal challenge. The Office for Budget Responsibility has estimated that by 2030 Britain will once again move into deficit … Continue reading
One person who won’t have been surprised by this week’s economic forecast is CIPD Chief Economist John Philpott. Last year, he predicted public sector job losses of 725,000 contradicting the Office for Budget Responsibility’s official forecast of 400,000. During a typical outbreak … Continue reading
Patrick Butler reports on the frantic rush to outsource local government services. Both he and I saw this coming some time ago. When councils have to cut so much so fast, an obvious way of doing it is to look … Continue reading