- RT @patrickjbutler: Councils using controversial lie detector tests to catch benefit fraudsters gu.com/p/3ndgf/tw << "closer to astrol… 7 hours ago
- RT @JohnRentoul: Best RT of Yesterday @Iearnsomething This is where the Great Wall of China ends. http://t.co/8vU4LlFUXY 7 hours ago
- RT @anonmugwump: Outrageous, if this wasn't on the BBC, I'd think it was EDL propaganda: plot to make schools Islamic m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan… 8 hours ago
- RT @JaneDudman1: Thanks! @FlipChartRick You're right, I don't usually get cross gu.com/p/3nc3c/tw 9 hours ago
- RT @FullFact: Zero-hours contracts: do new figures show a sharp rise in their use? fullfact.org/economy/zero_h… 12 hours ago
- RT @LSEEuroppblog: Not all ethnic Russians in Crimea have a political affinity with Moscow bit.ly/1dluZhG 15 hours ago
- @JaneDudman1, who doesn't usually get cross, gets cross buff.ly/1fN0OCr #InternationalWomensDay 15 hours ago
- RT @RenegadeEcon: The slow death of Silicon Roundabout gu.com/p/3nb9d/tw via @guardian 15 hours ago
- Class more important than age when it comes to wealth gu.com/p/3ndvp/tw Well I'm staggered... #GenerationBlah 16 hours ago
- @octaviusblack I've never been in any doubt. Frustrating lack of detail in the FT piece though. 16 hours ago
- RT @Peston: Barclays' fearful bonus middle bbc.co.uk/news/business-… 16 hours ago
- £20bn black hole in public finances would mean more austerity or tax rises gu.com/p/3nbqf/tw via @guardian 16 hours ago
- Work in 2030: Even more precarious than it is now
- The 4G workplace
- America: Not a small business country
- Will the shift to self employment change our politics?
- Why the middle-classes are not as posh as they used to be
- What should they know of English who only English know?
- The migration to self-employment may outlast the recession
- Floods: If you’re far enough from a river, you’re safe, right?
- Self-employment since the crash: Numbers up, earnings down
- Tax rises ahead
- Hierarchy redux
- Hierarchy works
Monthly Archives: October 2007
Many years ago, at the tail end of the Thatcher era, I did a CIPD qualification. On the syllabus was Harry Braverman’s Labor and Monopoly Capital. It was considered, at the time, to be the seminal Marxist work on the labour process and the … Continue reading
I’m often impressed by the ability of women to run for trains and buses while wearing high heels. This, however, is just plain bloody stupid.
There is a blogger tradition that Friday is Official Cat Blogging Day. That’s why I have posted this video which, if you’ve ever lived with a cat, will make you laugh. Our cat even sleeps in the same spot on the … Continue reading
Associated Newspapers, owners of the Daily Mail and Evening Standard, have threatened recruitment blogger Peter Gold with legal action. It appears that Peter dissed The Appointment, their retail recruitment magazine, and so Associated have sent the boys round. Well, they’ve written Peter … Continue reading
This is an odd thing to hear from a Tory shadow minister. Theresa May has said that employers who are found guilty of pay discrimination should be forced to conduct an equal pay audit. For those unfamiliar with this process, it … Continue reading
Oh dear! The Corporate Whore is trying to pull one of the HR people at his firm. He’s planning to make his move at a pre-Christmas drinking bout. I just know it will end in tears. Possibly even P45s. These things always do.
Here’s an update on that story from Norway. Karita Bekkemellem, the minister who threatened to close firms down for not complying with the gender quota, has been sacked. Whether her successor will continue with the policy to be seen. As soon as … Continue reading
If you are thinking of saving on your wage bill by employing stupid, gullible people, think again. It could end up costing you several million. HR Wench has a handy quiz to help you screen such people out of your organisation.
We don’t do embarrassing-bosses-at-conferences anywhere near as well as they do them in the USA. This looks rather endearing when compared to real toe-curling stuff like this: …..or this. If anyone else knows of any company-song, away-day humiliation, or bosses-who-should-know-better videos, point me to them. … Continue reading